How is it possible to sleep comfortably in summer, when you camp one night in a warm valley, and then move to a high altitude cold bivouac the day after? How can you convert a part of your sleeping system into a survival tool for serious winter conditions? Answer: use a comforter!
The L500 is one of the products of our "Ultralight Modular Line" series, created in partnership with the French journalist Antoine Sachs. The modular comforters he developed have been adopted by hundreds of enthusiast ultralight hikers.
Weighing only 750 g, made of a 27g/m² Pertex Quantum shell and including 500 g of our best 850 cuin goose down, the L500 is a kind of Swiss army knife in terms of insulation for users up to 195 cm. It’s down filling ratio is optimized for the quilt mode. It has a wide amplitude of use, from 25°C to -6°C.
Integrated elastics allow to create a footbox on one side and a neck collar on the other, loops being used to create a tube. The result is a quilt, a hoodless sleeping bag, not insulated in the back. With this L500, when it gets cold, it is useful to shake the quilt in a U position before sleeping, in order to put more down on the top. Comfort use in quilt mode is around 0°C. Of course you can reach even lower temperatures, depending on the clothes you wear while asleep.
Rectangular shape is a deliberate choice: it creates, in case of an emergency , an armour-like insulation layer (torso, arms and head) when used under a wide jacket. In static use, this "jacket mode" allows you to deal with a -12°C standby. The perfect backup for quick but careful climbers.
It is also possible to use it inside of a classic sleeping bag to make it winterproof, and under a hammock... and of course , as a comforter at home : expect serious heating savings!
- Fabric: Pertex Quantum, 27 g/m²
- Filling: Polish goose down, 850 cuin
- Construction: “H” chambers
- Can be used as: comforter, quilt, additional insulation inside a regular sleeping bag, down insulation inside a wider jacket, insulation under a hammock
- Elastics can create a collar and a footbox
- Loops allowing to close the comforter or to attach it to a mattress
- Possibility of moving the filling to achieve the most wanted down distribution for a current use
- Radically more efficient use of down, compared to a conventional sleeping bag
- Additional, large mesh bag to store your comforter at home
- Total weight: 750 g
- Down weight: 500 g
- Weight of unfilled comforter: 250 g
- Comfort temperature: 0 ˚C
- Limit temperature: -6 ˚C
- Maximum user height: 195 cm
- Dimensions: 227 cm x 140 cm
- Stuffsack’s dimensions (height/diameter): 26/18 cm
- Stuffsack’s volume: 6,6 l
- Number of down chambers: 13